Suppose you have a pending work or a pending grievance in some government department. Whenever you went to their office, they would either not listen to you or they would not tell you the correct status of your application or they would raise some funny and irrelevant objection. They are basically expecting some bribe. If you pay the bribe, your job would be done but if you do not do that, they will keep on making you run around. In most such cases, a common man gives up and pays the bribe. But now, you need not pay bribe. You can use the Right to Information Law to get your work done. How to do that?
Just as an example, let us assume that you applied for a new water connection about a year back, but you have not been granted the connection. Fill up Form A prescribed under the Delhi Right to Information Act and seek information on the following lines:
I had applied for a new water connection about a year back, but have not received the same. Copy of the receipt of the same is enclosed for your reference. Please provide the following information with respect to the same:
- Please provide the daily progress report made on my application.
- Please give the names and designations of the officials with whom my application was lying during this period. Please intimate the periods when it was lying with which officer and what was the action taken by that official during that period.
- Please give the proof of receipt and dispatch of my application in the office of each of these officials.
- According to your rules, in how many days should anew water connection be granted. Please provide acopy of these rules.
- The above officials have not adhered to the time limit mentioned in these rules. Are these officials guilty of violating these rules and hence guilty of misconduct under their conduct rules. Please give acopy of their conduct rule, which they have violated by violating the above mentioned rule.
- These officials have caused serious mental injury to me by making me run around all this while. Are these officials guilty of causing mental harassment to the public?
- What action can be taken against these officials for violating all the above rules and the conduct rules? By when this action would be taken?
- By when would I be granted my water connection?
Normally, it becomes difficult for the officials to reply to these questions as this would bring their inefficiencies and lapses on record in writing. A reply to these questions also has the effect of fixing of responsibility.